Monday, February 21, 2011

Inground Pool Contracting in Sacramento

So I am going through the Pool Construction process and will be updating this along the way.

I had many questions from the start. What company to use? Will a pool fit in my yard? Most importantly, what will it cost?

Two years ago I had Premier Pools on Rancho Cordova come out to my home for an estimate. Brian provided us several options and explained that the pool would cost between $20,000-$40,000.

Two years later I had the funding I needed to start the process. This time I called three pool builders (Cookie Cutter, Geremia Pools, and Premier Pools).

My wife and I researched pools on the internet. We have a rather small yard (40’ X 60’). For our size of yard we liked the straight lined style with a wall spanning the back and a sheer waterfall.

I heard that Geremia had a good reputation and was the oldest company in the area. I placed a call to their company and a few days later a salesmen returned my call. He was resistant to doing a home visit and questioned me a few times to see if I had the funding to build a pool at this time. He stated that he was busy and would be going on vacation soon. Long story short he didn’t call me back until I had signed a contract with another company.

I had been referred to Cookie Cutter by another person in my neighborhood. I placed a call with them and my call was promptly returned by a sales person. She came out and met with us the next week and provided an estimate the following week. Cookie Cutter quoted us approximately $36,000 for a 460 square foot pool with 400 square foot of stamped concrete decking. The pool features included a 1’ wall spanning the back of the pool and a 2’ wall in the center with a sheer waterfall.

Lastly I called out Brian from Premier again. Brian returned to my house and designed our dream pool. All of the specs are comparable to Cookie Cutter except the price. Premier came in just under $32,000. The absolute selling point with Premier is the 360 degree interactive design. It is much easier to commit to a contract when you can see the result.

Our next meeting with Premier was at the design center in Rancho Cordova. In the mean time I was obsessive about r\online reviews and problems others had in the process. My main concerns were going over budget and the companies reputation for quality.

While reading online reviews (Citysearch) for Premier I noticed a reoccurring theme regarding poor communication with customers after contract was signed. Other pool horror stories included businesses going out of business in the process and unexpected charges in the middle of the process.

My concerns were properly addressed by Brian and in most cases covered in the contract (ie: pool equipment placement).

My wife and I made the decision to go with Premier due to them being the largest pool builder in the area, the design that Brian came up with, and of course the price.


BEFORE

CONCEPT
-PM

4 comments:

  1. Hi - I found this post while researching reviews for Premier and Cookie Cutter. We are going through this process now and I share your concerns. We've met with premier and while I really like our sales guy, I am concerned about the many HORRIBLE online reviews I've found about them once construction begins. I am a project manager for a house flipping company, so the construction management process is very important to me! I don't see any follow up posts to this. Did you use premier? How did it turn out? I would really appreciate your feedback. You can email me at LeylaJaworski@gmail.com thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we get an update on the research you did too and how everything turned out with your pool. Our best friend is in the same process of determining which pool builder to go with this summer. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C'mon, you are leaving us hanging, PW! Really good post, great start to the blog. What happened?? Inquiring minds and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. any updates on your experience? -or is this blog dead??

    ReplyDelete